When shopping for a beautiful and affordable gemstone, many people consider cubic zirconia, especially when browsing options for engagement rings. One question often arises in this context: Does zirconia turn green? As you look at options for a cubic zirconia engagement ring, knowing the answer can help you make an informed decision.
Understanding Cubic Zirconia
Cubic zirconia (CZ) is a lab-created crystal made from zirconium dioxide. Manufacturers appreciate its brilliance and clarity, which mimic those of a diamond. The synthesis process ensures that cubic zirconia exhibits a sparkling appearance and consistent quality.
Addressing the Green Concern
Typically, cubic zirconia does not turn green. High-quality CZ maintains its clear, diamond-like appearance over time. Several factors can influence the perception or reality of a gemstone changing colors:
- Metal Settings: Sometimes, the metal of a ring setting can cause discoloration on the skin. For instance, certain metals might react with the wearer's skin or lotions, leading to a greenish tint on the skin, which can give the illusion that the stone itself has turned green.
- Low-Quality Stones: While a top-tier cubic zirconia stone retains its clarity, lower-quality ones might not offer the same consistency. However, this usually doesn't result in a green hue but rather a clouded or less brilliant appearance.
- External Factors: Exposure to certain chemicals or environments might impact the appearance of a gemstone or its setting. While cubic zirconia itself doesn't typically react, chemicals can sometimes affect the metal setting, which indirectly influences the appearance of the stone.
Caring for Your Cubic Zirconia Engagement Ring
To ensure the enduring beauty of your cubic zirconia engagement ring:
- Avoid exposure to harsh chemicals, including cleaning agents and chlorine in pools.
- Clean your ring regularly with mild soap and water, using a soft brush.
- Store your ring in a separate pouch or box to prevent scratches.
Cubic zirconia does not inherently turn green. With proper care and attention to the quality of both the stone and the setting, shoppers can confidently choose a cubic zirconia engagement ring that will maintain its beauty and brilliance for years to come.